With the 2020 season seemingly set to get underway we need to revisit our rankings, as things have dramatically changed since March. The addition of the DH in the National League, players opting out and others getting diagnosed with COVID-19 (and the unknown about their status) are just some of the obstacles fantasy owners are facing. Let’s take a look at how things currently look, but keep in mind that things can change quickly:
- J.T. Realmuto – Philadelphia Phillies
- Gary Sanchez – New York Yankees
- Will Smith – Los Angeles Dodgers
- Yasmani Grandal – Chicago White Sox
- Mitch Garver – Minnesota Twins
- Omar Narvaez – Milwaukee Brewers
- Carson Kelly – Arizona Diamondbacks
- Wilson Contreras – Chicago Cubs
- Sean Murphy – Oakland A’s
- Christian Vazquez – Boston Red Sox
- Salvador Perez – Kansas City Royals
- Wilson Ramos – New York Mets
- Travis d’Arnaud – Atlanta Braves
- Danny Jansen – Toronto Blue Jays
- Buster Posey – San Francisco Giants
- Salvador Perez has been diagnosed with COVID-19, though reports are that he’s currently asymptomatic. It’s possible he’s ready to roll for Opening Day, though having missed all of 2019 and missing the bulk of “Summer Camp” could lead to him being limited early in the season. That sends him down a few spots on the rankings.
- Will Buster Posey play or will he ultimately opt out of the 2020 season? Time will tell, but there are reports that he could decide not to play. His value isn’t what it once was regardless, but those concerns further help to reduce his value.
- Back in March we looked at four late round catching sleepers, and while a lot has changed the underlying metrics haven’t. Included on that list are Sean Murphy, Carson Kelly and Danny Jansen, and you can read the entire article by clicking here.
Sources – Fangraphs, MLB.com
Make sure to check out all of our Updated 2020 preseason rankings: