With the 2020 season seemingly set to get underway we need to revisit our rankings, as things have dramatically changed since March. The addition of the DH in the National League, players opting out and others getting diagnosed with COVID-19 (and the unknown about their status) are just some of the obstacles fantasy owners are facing. Let’s take a look at how things currently look, but keep in mind that things can change quickly:
- Cody Bellinger – Los Angeles Dodgers
- Pete Alonso – New York Mets
- Matt Olson – Oakland A’s
- Freddie Freeman – Atlanta Braves
- Josh Bell – Pittsburgh Pirates
- Max Muncy – Los Angeles Dodgers
- Paul Goldschmidt – Arizona Diamondbacks
- Jose Abreu – Chicago White Sox
- Anthony Rizzo – Chicago Cubs
- Rhys Hoskins – Philadelphia Phillies
- Edwin Encarnacion – Chicago White Sox
- Danny Santana – Texas Rangers
- Daniel Murphy – Colorado Rockies
- Carlos Santana – Cleveland Indians
- D.J. LeMahieu – New York Yankees
- Freeman was our #2 ranked first baseman, but he’s been diagnosed with COVID-19 (and, most importantly, we wish him a speedy recovery) and we don’t know exactly when we’ll see him on the field. According to David O’Brien (via Twitter), “Freeman has a fever, Brian Snitker said it’s “going to be a while” before they get him in camp.” For now we’ve downgraded him by about 30 AB from our original projection, but that could change further depending on the news.
- The Yankees’ D.J. LeMahieu has also tested positive for COVID-19. Originally #13 on our list, he is said to currently be asymptomatic but it’s hard to predict when he’ll be able to return. For now we’ve downgraded him by 20 AB from our original projection, but that could have to be further adjusted if/when more is known on his condition.
- Yulieski Gurriel has fallen out of our Top 15, simply due to more analysis. We talked about him in detail previously, which you can read by clicking here. He’s now #16 on these rankings.
- Daniel Murphy’s name has risen a bit on these rankings, in part because he could benefit from the inclusion of the DH in the National League. Most have pointed towards the outfield logjam as the beneficiary, but could the team instead use Murphy in the role to keep him healthy? Ryan McMahon could shift to 1B with Garrett Hampson playing 2B, so it’s not impossible. If that does happen you could argue Murphy being pushed even further up these rankings, definitely over Danny Santana (and maybe as high as #10).
Sources – Fangraphs, MLB.com
Make sure to check out all of our Updated 2020 preseason rankings: