With the 2020 season seemingly set to get underway we need to revisit our rankings, as things have dramatically changed since March. The addition of the DH in the National League, players opting out and others getting diagnosed with COVID-19 (and the unknown about their status) are just some of the obstacles fantasy owners are facing. Let’s take a look at how things currently look, but keep in mind that things can change quickly:
- Francisco Lindor – Cleveland Indians
- Trevor Story – Colorado Rockies
- Alex Bregman – Houston Astros
- Trea Turner – Washington Nationals
- Xander Bogaerts – Boston Red Sox
- Javier Baez – Chicago Cubs
- Manny Machado – San Diego Padres
- Marcus Semien – Oakland A’s
- Gleyber Torres – New York Yankees
- Bo Bichette – Toronto Blue Jays
- Fernandez Tatis Jr. – San Diego Padres
- Carlos Correa – Houston Astros
- Jorge Polanco – Minnesota Twins
- Corey Seager – Los Angeles Dodgers
- Paul DeJong – St. Louis Cardinals
- While the fell short of the Top 15, there are some intriguing youngsters with the potential to make an impact in the short season. We’ve talked about Carter Kieboom of the Nationals before, and he should get an opportunity to show his upside with the addition of the DH and with Ryan Zimmerman opting out. Two other names to watch are Wily Adames (TB) and J.P. Crawford (SEA).
- Surprised to see Gleyber Torres this low on the rankings? We talked about him all the way back in February, where we discussed why he wouldn’t be worth a 2nd/3rd round draft pick. Not only did he post a 13.2% SwStr% last season, but as we noted “In the second half his Oppo% was all the way down to 19.7% and his fly ball rate rose slightly to 43.0%. Those marks indicate that he was swinging for the fences and could lead to a further drop in his BABIP, and in turn his average. ” Check out the full article by clicking here.
- Was Marcus Semien’s 2019 surge for real? Based on our ranking you can tell we are believers, and you can see why by clicking here.
Sources – Fangraphs, MLB.com
Make sure to check out all of our Updated 2020 preseason rankings: