One of the goals this season is to keep our rankings as up-to-date as possible once they have been posted. Today’s news that Victor Martinez could miss the entire 2012 campaign due to a torn ACL certainly requires an update as he was originally the second best catcher on our draft board. While it will be interesting to see who ultimately emerges as the Tigers’ designated hitter (my guess is they go the free agent route to fill the hole) let’s take a look at who steps in and takes his spot:
- Carlos Santana – Cleveland Indians
- Mike Napoli – Texas Rangers
- Brian McCann – Atlanta Braves
- Buster Posey – San Francisco Giants
- Miguel Montero – Arizona Diamondbacks
- Alex Avila – Detroit Tigers
- Matt Wieters – Baltimore Orioles
- Joe Mauer – Minnesota Twins
- Jesus Montero – Seattle Mariners
- SalvadorPerez – Kansas City Royals
- Kurt Suzuki – Oakland Athletics
- Jonathan Lucroy – Milwaukee Brewers
- Wilson Ramos – Washington Nationals
- Geovany Soto – Chicago Cubs
- Yadier Molina – St. Louis Cardinals
- The loss of Victor Martinez does not impact the value of Alex Avila in the least. Martinez was not expected to catch much, if at all, in 2012 so we should continue valuing Avila as we have been all offseason.
- Yadier Molina is the new inclusion in the rankings. I don’t fully believe in Molina’s “power surge” from 2011, as it came courtesy of two big stints (he had a home run in three straight games in July and three home runs in a three day span in August). You take those out and it was just another mediocre power season (he had 14 HR on the year). That said, he does more than enough in the average department to warrant consideration. How many catchers can continuously push for a .300 average?
- While Jesus Montero is on a new team (and in a less hitter friendly environment), he should now get more opportunities to play regularly. The two likely cancel each other out, meaning Montero’s value on these rankings remains stagnant.
- Obviously there is no upside to the injury, but if he doesn’t play in 2012 Victor Martinez will likely maintain catcher eligibility in 2013. Is that a silver lining? Not really, but at least it’s something…
***** Order the Rotoprofessor 2012 Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide, complete with updates from January through the start of the season, for just $6! As an added bonus, if you purchase by 3/15 you will be entered to win a Michael Pineda autographed baseball! To place your order click here. *****
Make sure to check out our 2012 projections: