In 2011 Jon Lester limped to the finish line, amidst the Red Sox total collapse. At the time fantasy owners wanted to chalk it up to poor luck, though a disastrous 2012 should have everyone reevaluating that stance. With that in mind, let’s look at the 10 pitchers (with 30+ innings pitched) who posted the worst ERA over the seasons’s final month:
- Luke Hochevar – Kansas City Royals – 9.56
- Felix Hernandez – Seattle Mariners – 6.62
- Edwin Jackson – Washington Nationals – 6.54
- Patrick Corbin – Arizona Diamondbacks – 6.03
- Jeff Francis – Colorado Rockies – 5.93
- Esmerling Vasquez – Minnesota Twins – 5.68
- Ryan Dempster – Texas Rangers – 5.68
- Zach McAllister – Cleveland Indians – 5.52
- Wade Miley – Arizona Diamondbacks – 5.40
- Phil Hughes – New York Yankees – 5.19
- There are a number of throw away names in this group, like Hochevar, Francis and Vasquez. They aren’t worth spending time on.
- Dempster, who enjoyed significant luck while pitching for the Cubs earlier in the season, was an utter disaster in Texas. Pitching in the American League likely won’t suite him well, especially with matching 20.8% line drive rates the past two seasons. I can already hear balls thudding of the Green Monster with each start, can’t you?
- While there is reason to expect a regression from Wade Miley overall, we need to take his September issues with a slight grain of salt. He is a young pitcher in his rookie season, so seeing him hit a wall was not a surprise.
- Phil Highes’ ERA may have been ugly, but he posted a 9.09 K/9 and 2.08 BB/9 during the month. There actually is reason for optimism.
- Felix Hernandez is an interesting case, especially considering the number of innings he has thrown in recent years. Could he be overworked and breaking down? You don’t want to think so, but he keeps poppinup up on these types of lists. There has to be at least a little bit of concern as we head into 2013, especially after his extension was reportedly held up due to issues with his physical (though it ultimately was signed).
***** No matter how you purchase the Rotoprofessor 2013 Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide (whether you buy it directly or get it as part of our FanDuel promotion), one lucky purchaser will win a:
Jason Heyward Autographed Baseball!!
Click here for details!!*****
Make sure to check out all of our 2013 projections: