Shortstop has never been the deepest position, though in the American League there appear to be plenty of usable options available to fantasy owners. In the National League? There’s potential, but also a series of questions. Let’s take a look at how things currently stand:
1) Jose Reyes – Toronto Blue Jays
2) Ben Zobrist – Tampa Bay Rays
3) Asdrubal Cabrera – Cleveland Indians
4) Alcides Escobar – Kansas City Royals
5) Elvis Andrus – Texas Rangers
6) Erick Aybar – Los Angeles Angels
7) Derek Jeter – New York Yankees
8) Alexei Ramirez – Chicago White Sox
9) J.J. Hardy – Baltimore Orioles
10) Tyler Greene – Houston Astros
1) Troy Tulowitzki – Colorado Rockies
2) Starlin Castro – Chicago Cubs
3) Ian Desmond – Washington Nationals 4) Jimmy Rollins – Philadelphia Phillies
5) Hanley Ramirez – Los Angeles Dodgers
6) Josh Rutledge – Colorado Rockies
7) Danny Espinosa – Washington Nationals
8) Everth Cabrera – San Diego Padres
9) Jean Segura – Milwaukee Brewers
10) Andrelton Simmons – Atlanta Braves
- Is it just me or is the NL riddled with uncertainty at shortstop? Even a healthy Hanley Ramirez brought questions with him, but with him out there really is a lot of mystery surrounding the position. Can Tulowitzki stay healthy? Can Rollins continue to produce (as well as get his average up)? Was Rutledge just a one year wonder?
- That said, the NL does have a host of young options who could step up and deliver like Everth Cabrera, Segura and Simmons. Throw in Zack Cozart and Cliff Pennington, both of which offer sleeper appeal, and there is some depth. You just want to make sure you get more than one guy who can fill the slot just in case.
- Over in the American League things look significantly deeper and more balanced. While you have your top level options, any of the guys from #6-9 offer value. That means you can fill other positions early and safely get a SS later on.
- There are also useful players not even included on this list like Jhonny Peralta, Maicer Izturis (especially if he wins the 2B job) and Jed Lowrie who will be available later on.
***** No matter how you purchase the Rotoprofessor 2013 Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide (whether you buy it directly or get it as part of our FanDuel promotion), one lucky purchaser will win a:
Jason Heyward Autographed Baseball!!
Click here for details!!*****
Make sure to check out all of our AL/NL-Only rankings for 2013: