by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)
There haven’t been major changes to our pitching rankings, though a few injuries did shake things up. Let’s start updating the rankings with our Top 15:
- Clayton Kershaw – Los Angeles Dodgers
- Stephen Strasburg – Washington Nationals
- Yu Darvish – Texas Rangers
- Adam Wainwright – St. Louis Cardinals
- Jose Fernandez – Miami Marlins
- Chris Sale – Chicago White Sox
- Max Scherzer – Detroit Tigers
- Cliff Lee – Philadelphia Phillies
- Madison Bumgarner – San Francisco Giants
- Gio Gonzalez – Washington Nationals
- Justin Verlander – Detroit Tigers
- Felix Hernandez – Seattle Mariners
- Jordan Zimmermann – Washington Nationals
- David Price – Tampa Bay Rays
- James Shields – Kansas City Royals
- Obviously the big change to the rankings is the drop of Cole Hamels, whose injury sent him falling from #10 down to #16 (as we discussed here). We’ll know more about his status in the next week or so, which will help to determine if he’s going to rebound back up the rankings or be pushed further down. It all depends on when he’s able to return to the mound, though early word has him only missing a handful of starts.
- Just how good was Jose Fernandez’ rookie season? Why type of numbers can we expect from him in 2014? Check out our 2014 projection for him by clicking here.
- There had been health concerns regarding Justin Verlander, but according to the Detroit Free Press (via Twitter) “In his third time off the mound in camp, Verlander threw 42 pitches today without any apparent problem.” It gives him a small boost up, leapfrogging Felix Hernandez, though there are still going to be concerns regarding his career workload and the decline in velocity.
*** Make sure to order Rotoprofessor’s 2014 Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide and be entered to win an autographed David Price mini bat! The guide comes complete with projections of over 600 players, expended rankings, sleepers, Top 50 prospects and so much more (including constant updates up until opening day). For just $6 you will get everything you need to dominate your fantasy league! For more information and to place your order, click here. ***
Make sure to check out all of our 2014 rankings: