by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)
Over the past two days we’ve updated the first two portions of our starting pitcher rankings. Let’s take a look at the next 15, which is filled with bounce back veterans and some intriguing youngsters:
31) Dan Haren – Los Angeles Dodgers
32) Hiroki Kuroda – New York Yankees
33) Jonathan Niese – New York Mets
34) Jered Weaver – Los Angeles Angels
35) Alex Wood – Atlanta Braves
36) Hisashi Iwakuma – Seattle Mariners
37) Francisco Liriano – Pittsburgh Pirates
38) Justin Masterson – Cleveland Indians
39) Yovani Gallardo – Milwaukee Brewers
40) Ivan Nova – New York Yankees
41) Julio Teheran – Atlanta Braves
42) Sonny Gray – Oakland A’s
43) Josh Johnson – San Diego Padres
44) Kris Medlen – Atlanta Braves
45) CC Sabathia – New York Yankees
- Hisashi Iwakuma could easily fall further down these rankings (as we discussed here), depending on the news in the next few weeks. For now we are still projecting him for 175 innings (assuming he’s only going to miss 4-5 starts), and with his ability that keeps him as a solid SP4 who can really boost your squad over the final 5 months. If we learn that he’s going to be out longer than that, he’s going to plummet even further down the rankings.
- One of the more debated pitchers on my rankings has been Francisco Liriano, who I dug deeper into recently. Make sure to check that out by clicking here to find out why I feel he is not a Top 35 option despite his strong 2013.
- This part of the rankings is filled with youngsters with tremendous upside (like Alex Wood, Julio Teheran and Sonny Gray), as well as some intriguing bounce back candidates (like Dan Haren, Hiroki Kuroda and CC Sabathia). It all depends on your preference, though there’s a lot to like whichever direction you decide to take.
- Is Jered Weaver a top starting pitcher option? Not for me, and you can click here to find out why.
*** Make sure to order Rotoprofessor’s 2014 Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide and be entered to win an autographed David Price mini bat! The guide comes complete with projections of over 600 players, expended rankings, sleepers, Top 50 prospects and so much more (including constant updates up until opening day). For just $6 you will get everything you need to dominate your fantasy league! For more information and to place your order, click here. ***
Make sure to check out all of our 2014 rankings: