Here are a few notes hanging out there this quiet Thursday afternoon:
- Believe it or not, Carl Pavano actually will return to the Yankees this Saturday, starting against the Orioles, according to Tyler Kepner of The New York Times (click here for the post). I wouldn’t touch him with a 10-foot pole at this point. The chances seem better that he’s out of the rotation in a week, as opposed to sticking the rest of the way, given his track record the past few seasons.
- According to Susan Slusser of The San Francisco Chronicle (click here for the post), Justin Duchscherer will receive a cortisone shot after an MRI showed “inflammation in his surgically repaired right hip”. He will be shut down for 4-5 days, but it appears that he may not end up on the DL.
- Slusser says that the news isn’t as good for Sean Gallagher, who “is likely to go on the DL with a fatigued right arm”. She names Dana Eveland and Dan Meyer as the likely replacements, but neither should be owned at this point.
- The Pirates of traded Jose Bautista to the Toronto Blue Jays, according to Rob Biertempfel of The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (click here for the article). The Pirates will receive a player to be named later. No real fantasy impact in this move.
- According to Troy Renk of The Denver Post (click here for the post), with Chris Iannetta returning to the line-up tonight, Adam Melhouse will be sent to Triple A to make room for Scott Podsednik.