According to MLB Network, the Dodgers have acquired Ted Lilly & Ryan Theriot from the Cubs for Blake DeWitt and minor league pitchers Brett Wallach & Kyle Smit.
The Dodgers Get
They needed depth in the rotation, behind Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley & Hiroki Kuroda (and Vicenta Padilla). Lilly has always been a solid pitcher and 2010 is no different, with a 3.69 ERA and 1.14 WHIP. He has benefited from some luck with a .261 BABIP, but that mark isn’t far off from his past couple of seasons:
- 2007 – .272
- 2008 – .283
- 2009 – .270
His fantasy vale remains relatively flat due to the move.
Theriot should step into the starting spot at 2B. His hit near the top of the order for the Cubs, but with Rafael Furcal and the newly acquired Scott Podsednik, he is going to be hitting near the bottom of the order. That will hurt his ability to score runs and he has little power to speak of. Plus, he may have fewer opportunities to run. While he enters a better lineup, his little fantasy appeal takes a small hit.
The Cubs Get
DeWitt may have a little more power then Theriot (he did hit 9 HR in ’08), but has no real speed. He may not get everyday AB, potentially sharing time with Mike Fontenot. At best, he’s a low-end option in deeper fantasy formats.
Wallach is 6-0 with a 3.72 ERA and 92 K over 84.2 innings at Single-A. He was a third round draft pick for the Dodgers in 2009 and struggles last season in his professional debut (5.23 ERA over 31.0 innings).
Smit is a right-handed relief pitcher who has seen time at Single and Double-A this season. Overall he has a 2.35 ERA and 47 K over 53.2 innings. Unless he can develop into a closer, he’s not likely to hold fantasy value.
What are your thoughts on this deal? Who is affected most?
Make sure to check out our trade deadline analysis:
- Yunel Escober for Alex Gonzalez
- Alberto Callaspo traded to the Angels
- Dan Haren traded to the Angels
- Jhonny Peralta to the Tigers
- Scott Podsednik to the Dodgers
- Roy Oswalt to the Phillies for J.A. Happ and 2 minor leaguers
- Jorge Cantu to the Rangers
- Miguel Tejada to the Padres
- Matt Capps to the Twins for Wilson Ramos
- Edwin Jackson to the White Sox
- Christian Guzman to the Rangers
- Lance Berkman to the Yankees
- Austin Kearns to the Yankees
- Chad Qualls to Tampa Bay
- Chris Snyder to Pittsburgh in five-player trade
- Ludwick to Padres, Westbrook to Cardinals in three-team trade