Looking for a catcher (and given the recent injuries you easily could be)? You may have just gotten lucky with today’s news:
- With John Buck heading to the DL, the Toronto Blue Jays have promoted J.P. Arencibia. At Triple-A, Arencibia was hitting .303 with 31 HR and 79 RBI. He figures to get the bulk of the starts and has the potential to claim the job from the injured All-Star and emerge as a Top 10 option for 2011 (think Geovany Soto a few years ago). He’s certainly worth grabbing in two-catcher formats, or if you need a replacement for the injured Carlos Santana. For more on Arencibia, check out our recent Prospect Tracker write-up on him by clicking here.
- Speaking of owners who also may want to consider Arencibia, Russell Martin was placed on the DL with a “torn labrum in his right hip”. According to the team’s website (click here to view), surgery is possible and Martin’s season could be over. A.J. Ellis was recalled from Triple-A, but neither he nor Brad Ausmus carry much fantasy appeal.
- The Minneapolis Star (click here to view the article) is reporting that Twins outfield prospect Ben Revere has “two orbital fractures near his right eye” and is done for the year. He spent the year at Double-A hitting .297 with 1 HR, 22 RBI, 39 R and 31 SB. He could make a fantasy impact as soon as 2011, so keep an eye on him early on.
- With Kris Medlen headed to the DL, Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (click here for the article), Mike Minor may be summoned from Triple-A to take his spot iin the rotation. He had a 4.03 ERA at Double-A, but in his five starts since being bumbed to Triple-A he has posted a 1.99 ERA. Overall he has 144 Ks over 118.2 innings and is worth a look in all deeper formats. There’s a chance Medlen’s season is over.
- Reports are that Carlos Zambrano will rejoin the Cubs rotation on Monday. He’s a risk, but has the potential to be usable in all formats. If you are in a deep league and he’s available, he’s worth the flier.
What are your thoughts on today’s news?
Click here for the previous article.