by Will Overton
I know it’s the weekend and people have football on their minds right now. That said, it’s basketball season now and it’s time to have some fun. If you’re looking to add a little something extra to your basketball watching today try out a daily fantasy league. Play for free or throw a $1 or $2 down and see what the fun is all about.
Let’s take a look at six players (two at each position) you should be looking at as you set your lineup for tonight. All of information referenced is based on game play at Fantasy Score. However if you do play on other sites in the industry, the same logic and thought process applies as well.
- D.J. Augustin, G, Detroit Pistons, $3,200: Through two games it has been Brandon Jennings starting and D.J. Augustin finishing and playing more minutes. This has happened in the two regular season games, but it was a very common theme in the preseason too with Augustin being the better of the two. Despite all of this, Augustin is still over $1,000 cheaper. The thing is it’s not necessarily just a Jennings vs. Augustin thing either, they can and probably should play together often with the Pistons not having a shooting guard who is thriving. Ride Augustin while he’s hot as long as he’s this cheap.
- Reggie Jackson, G, Oklahoma City Thunder, $4,200: I am expecting some really big things from Reggie Jackson over the next month with Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant out. Jackson has been hurt for the first two games of the season, and his status should be verified tomorrow before putting him in your lineup. As long as he plays though Jackson should do big things as the starting point guard and quite possibly the team’s best offensive weapon as well. Last year Jackson averaged 14.1 PPG and 5.1 APG when starting, this year with no Durant either, those numbers should be even higher.
- Amir Johnson, F, Toronto Raptors, $4,300: We’ve already seen a few examples of the Magic’s defensive deficiencies inside, and we’re only a couple games into the season. Johnson showed up in his first game to play throwing in 16 points with 10 rebounds and 4 blocks. Last season was a little bit disappointing for Johnson, but he’s looking to bounce back this year. I love the Raptors big men against the Magic and since Johnson is cheaper than Jonas Valanciunas, I am going to ride with Johnson.
- Nene Hilario, F, Washington Wizards, $2,200: I’m not really sure why Nene is so cheap on fantasy score, but I am more than willing to take advantage of it. Hilario isn’t s star or anything, but I would think he could have gone for another $1,000 or more. I don’t know that he’ll play 34 minutes again like he did in the last game, but he should log around 28 minutes which should get him double digit points and 7 – 8 boards. He won’t go nuts for you, but if you’re looking for someone on the cheap so you can buy a star, Nene is about as good as it gets.
- Chris Bosh, C, Miami Heat, $7,500: There are eight guys in fantasy score with a contract more expensive than Chris Bosh and if I am looking for a star, I actually really like Bosh’s value. In the season opener Chris Bosh looked like a genuine superstar with 26 PTS, 15 REBS, 4 ASTS, 3 3PTS, 1 BLK and 1 STL. I don’t know that he’ll do that every game, but I expect a lot of games where he’s the best guy on the court. The Heat take on the Sixers tomorrow night, who will be on the back end of a back to back, and I expect Bosh to absolutely dominate them and be a top five point scorer in the league for the night.
- Kelly Olynyk, C, Boston Celtics, $3,400: Here’s another primetime steal. Anything under $4,000 is a steal for Olynyk and $3,400 is a must grab. I love the fact that the Celtics are committed to Olynyk as their starting center and I love the fact that they use him as a stretch big man and not the traditional big we have come to know. More love, I love the fact that the Celtics have Rajon Rondo to run the floor with Olynyk and get him the ball and just the right spots at just the right times. Olynyk is going to be one of the season’s biggest surprises I think and you should get him at this price now while you still can.