by Ray Kuhn
Daily fantasy basketball is a roller coaster ride. You have to have a short memory but also learn from both your successes and failures. If you are new to this feature then welcome aboard, and if not, then welcome back.
Let’s take a look at six players (two at each position) you should be looking at as you set your lineup for tonight. All of information referenced is based on game play at Fantasy Score (USA Today’s DFS engine). If you do play on other sites in the industry the same logic and thought process is applicable. Additionally, you can also use these tips to help you in your season long leagues. All of these players will not appear in every single one of my lineups, but each player is on my radar.
- Mike Conley, G, Memphis Grizzlies, $6,400. The first inclination will be to fork over $9,000 for Stephen Curry. Then if not Curry, you have Russell Westbrook and John Wall also active tonight at $8,500 and $8,200 respectively. So why then, are we dipping down to Conley. Well, for starters, you have to like the price. On the season, Conley is averaging about 11 FP’s less than each of the top three options, but you are getting him at a substantial discount. Memphis is a tough defensive team and will try to slow the game down, so you have to adjust Curry’s expectations accordingly. Kevin Durant is also taking on a bigger role, so there is some impact on Westbrook. Instead, I’ll take the steady Conley, and depending on the rest of my squad, perhaps fit in Wall as well.
- Tyreke Evans, G, New Orleans Pelicans, $6,000. For starters, this is based on Anthony Davis being sidelined and some of the offensive windfall going to Evans. Evans is coming off games of 31 and 34 points and he is averaging 5.4 rebounds and 5.8 assists on the season.
- Kevin Durant, F, Oklahoma City Thunder, $9,500. Durant appears to be working his way back into form, and with that, his minutes will continue to increase. Currently, Durant is only averaging 20.9 points per game, but I would look for that to increase quickly. Tonight, Durant has the Kings in their first game under new coach Tyrone Corbin, and it promises to be an up tempo affair.
- Luol Deng, F, Miami Heat, $4,600. This, by any means, is not an exciting pick. But Deng is a starter with a consistent role and a proven track record. Plus with Chris Bosh now sidelined with a calf injury, someone will have to pick up the scoring slack, and I would look to Deng for that. So far this season, he is averaging just 14.1 points per game, but he is capable of more.
- Tyson Chandler, C, Dallas Mavericks, $5,500. Chandler averages a double/double, 10.7 points and 11.5 rebounds per game, so you are starting with that as your base. Then, we cannot overlook the revenge factor as Chandler is taking on the Knicks tonight. In their last meeting a few weeks ago, the center scored 17 points and had 25 rebounds.
- Omer Asik, C, New Orleans Pelicans, $4,700. With options minimal at center, we will highlight the reasonably priced Asik. Asik gets over looked due to Anthony Davis, but he is averaging 25.2 FP’s per game. The likely absence of Davis could lead to a few more rebounds for Asik, and that is enough to put him on my radar.