by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)
Think you have it all figured out after Week 8? Think again, as injuries and simple poor play will likely change things dramatically for the coming week (they were out of control last week). Let’s take a look at how things stack up in the always unpredictable NFL for Week 9:
- Cincinnati Bengals – vs. Jacksonville
- San Francisco 49ers – vs. St. Louis
- Seattle Seahawks – vs. Oakland
- Kansas City Chiefs – vs. New York Jets
- Cleveland Browns – vs. Tampa Bay
- Washington Redskins – at Minnesota
- Philadelphia Eagles – at Houston
- San Diego Chargers – at Miami
- Arizona Cardinal – at Dallas
- Minnesota Vikings – vs. Washington
- Baltimore Ravens – at Pittsburgh
- Indianapolis Colts – at New York Giants
- Houston Texans – vs. Philadelphia
- Carolina Panthers – vs. New Orleans
- Pittsburgh Steelers – vs. Baltimore
- What’s going on with Seattle, who have mustered just 10 sacks on the season? You would’ve thought a matchup with the Raiders, at home, would’ve been the perfect opportunity to slot them back into the top spot of our weekly rankings. While they are definitely a Top 5 play against a team averaging just 15.0 points, Oakland has yielded just 8 sacks. Coupled with Seattle’s lack of plays, they just can’t make the leap all the way up.
- As of right now we are slotting Minnesota’s defense as if Colt McCoy is going to be under center. If it turns out to be Robert Griffin III? Their ranking may fall, though McCoy did play well on Monday night. Keep that in mind before assuming that they are a good play.
- Speaking of quarterback status, Michael Vick is going to be starting under center for the Jets in Kansas City. While the Jets’ offense has looked atrocious at times, Vick did give them a bit of life after entering the game last week. Of course he too proved to be a turnover machine, fumbling 4 times (losing two) and throwing an interception, so it’s not like he is going to be an instant improvement.
- Carolina hasn’t lived up to expectations, but they are coming off a good showing against the Seahawks and we all know New Orleans tends to be a different team on the road. It’s at least a matchup worth considering, depending on your alternatives.
Make sure to check out all of our Week 9 rankings: