by Ray Kuhn
Defense wins championships. While that is certainly true on an actual NFL field, the same cannot always be said in your fantasy match-up. That said with so many skill position players and teams banged up, defenses are certainly getting an advantage in some cases this week and it is up to you to capitalize. Let’s take a look at how the defenses rank for this week.
- Houston Texans – at Tennessee
- Kansas City Chiefs – vs. Cleveland
- Carolina Panthers – at Atlanta
- Seattle Seahawks – vs. St. Louis
- Denver Broncos – vs. Cincinnati
- Buffalo Bills – vs. Dallas
- Cincinnati Bengals – at Denver
- Detroit Lions – vs. San Francisco
- Pittsburgh Steelers -at Baltimore
- Minnesota Vikings – vs. New York Giants
- Miami Dolphins – vs. Indianapolis
- Arizona Cardinals – vs. Green Bay
- Washington Redskins – at Philadelphia
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – vs. Chicago
- New England Patriots – at New York Jets
- The Titans have allowed the most points to opposing defenses this season, and the majority of that has come with Marcus Mariota under center. Now Zach Mettenberger is taking the snaps and he has just three touchdowns against five interceptions this season. That lines up perfectly with a surging Houston defense, as this has all the makings for a low scoring affair. Houston has 36 sacks on the season, which includes 16 in their last six games, and earlier this season they had seven sacks against the Titans and held them to just six points.
- With Odell Beckham suspended, the Giants are without their biggest offensive weapon and that bodes well for the Vikings. Only recently have the Giants begun to get their running game going, but without Beckham the Vikings will now be able to stack the box. The Vikings are owned in just 32% of all Yahoo leagues, so if you are looking for a streaming option this might be it as they come off a five sack game against the Bears.
- While there may be some dysfunction and controversy in Buffalo’s locker room (is anyone really surprised, by that), that doesn’t mean they don’t have fantasy value. The Cowboys are now on their fourth quarterback of the season in Kellen Moore, Dez Bryant is not 100% and they have allowed the fourth most points to fantasy defenses. The Bills have just 20 sacks on the season, but their performance has been consistent and Buffalo has also caused 20 turnovers. You likely won’t get a match-up changing performance here, but you can do much worse than the Bills.