by Ray Kuhn
Missed field goals… Errant extra points… With six games decided by three points or less in the season’s opening weekend, kickers once again were in focus. That doesn’t mean they have become any less frustrating, although it is clear that they are a necessary evil. Let’s take a look at how the kickers rank for this week:
- Dan Bailey – Dallas Cowboys – at Washington
- Justin Tucker – Baltimore Ravens – at Cleveland
- Stephen Gostkowski – New England Patriots – vs. Miami
- Mason Crosby – Green Bay Packers – at Minnesota
- Steven Hauschka – Seattle Seahawks – at Los Angeles Rams
- Josh Brown – New York Giants – vs. New Orleans
- Adam Vinatieri – Indianapolis Colts – at Denver
- Cairo Santos – Kansas City Chiefs – vs. Green Bay
- Brandon McManus – Denver Broncos – vs. Indianapolis
- Chris Boswell – Pittsburgh Steelers – vs. Cincinnati
- Graham Gano – Carolina Panthers – vs. San Francisco
- Blair Walsh – Minnesota Vikings – vs. Green Bay
- Chandler Catanzaro – Arizona Cardinals – vs. Tampa Bay
- Will Lutz – New Orleans Saints – at New York Giants
- Matt Prater – Detroit Lions – vs. Tennessee
- Bend but don’t break. That was the Giants’ game plan against the Cowboys, and it worked. The same can also be said for Dan Bailey who converted all four of his field goal attempts along with his lone extra point. Bailey’s efforts included field goals from 54 and 59 yards, and I would expect more of the same this week. Dak Prescott showed the ability to move the ball, but the Cowboys’ offense lacked explosiveness and stalled out in the red zone. That is perfect for a kicker.
- Weather is no longer an issue for Blair Walsh, at least at home, as the Vikings open up their new, domed stadium this week. We have become accustomed to Walsh being streaky, and that was the case once again last week. He misfired on two of his six attempts, but one was from 56 yards.
- To say that Adam Vinatieri has aged well would be an understatement, as the kicker opens up a new NFL season. After converting both his field goal attempts this week he is up to 27 straight, and also was perfect on all three of his extra point attempts. This week he gets the pleasure of kicking in the Mile High air against the Broncos, which makes him a top option.
Make sure to check out all of our Week 2 rankings: