by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)
You can argue that kicker is always one of the most frustrating spots to fill, though figuring it out for the first week of the season is that much tougher. Which offense is going to thrive? Which defense is going to be able to shut things down, forcing teams to settle for three points? Let’s try to sort it all out:
- Justin Tucker – Baltimore Ravens – at Cincinnati
- Stephen Gostkowski – New England Patriots – vs. Kansas City
- Matt Bryant – Atlanta Falcons – at Chicago
- Adam Vinatieri – Indianapolis Colts – at Los Angeles Rams
- Dan Bailey – Dallas Cowboys – vs. New York Giants
- Mason Crosby – Green Bay Packers – vs. Seattle
- Brandon McManus – Denver Broncos – vs. Los Angeles Chargers
- Dustin Hopkins – Washington Redskins – vs. Philadelphia
- Cairo Santos – Kansas City Chiefs – at New England
- Stephen Hauschka – Buffalo Bills – vs. New York Jets
- Will Lutz – New Orleans Saints – at Minnesota
- Matt Prater – Detroit Lions – vs. Arizona
- Graham Gano – Carolina Panthers – at San Francisco
- Chris Boswell – Pittsburgh Steelers – at Cleveland
- Caleb Sturgis – Philadelphia Eagles – at Washington
- The New York Giants are going to represent a difficult matchup for the Dallas offense, even with Ezekiel Elliot on the field. Don’t be surprised if they are forced to settle for field goals, and that’s going to make Dan Bailey an attractive Week 1 option.
- Adam Vinatieri has long been one of the better kickers in the league and with Andrew Luck out would it be surprising to see Indianapolis settle for 3 points instead of finding the end zone? Their ability to move the football is definitely going to be in question, so don’t be surprised if that’s how it plays out.
- It’s interesting that all three of the 50+ yard field goals Brandon McManus made in ’16 came on the road isn’t it? We would expect him to have a big advantage kicking in Denver, and for now we’re not going to let that oddity impact his ranking (he did make 15-of-16 kicks under 50 yards at home last season.
Make sure to check out all of our Week 1 Rankings: