by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)
We continue to face significant questions about the tight end position, and injuries and bye weeks further muddy the waters. It puts that much more importance on having an elite option and we’d be 100% comfortable with any of the Top 5 players on our rankings this week. After that? It’s a roll of the dice, to say the least. Let’s take a look:
- Zach Ertz – Philadelphia Eagles – vs. Denver
- Travis Kelce – Kansas City Chiefs – at Dallas
- Jack Doyle – Indianapolis Colts – at Houston
- Jimmy Graham – Seattle Seahawks – vs. Washington
- Evan Engram – New York Giants – vs. Los Angeles Rams
- Jared Cook – Oakland Raiders – at Miami
- Delanie Walker – Tennessee Titans – vs. Baltimore
- Jason Witten – Dallas Cowboys – vs. Kansas City
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins – New York Jets – vs. Buffalo
- Vernon Davis – Washington Redskins – at Seattle
- Austin Hooper – Atlanta Falcons – at Carolina
- Tyler Kroft – Cincinnati Bengals – at Jacksonville
- Cameron Brate – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – at New Orleans
- Martellus Bennett – Green Bay Packers – vs. Detroit
- Ed Dickson – Carolina Panthers – vs. Atlanta
- A.J. Derby – Denver Broncos – at Philadelphia
- Tyler Higbee – Los Angeles Rams – at New York Giants
- Ryan Griffin – Houston Texans – vs. Indianapolis
- George Kittle – San Francisco 49ers – vs. Arizona
- Benjamin Watson – Baltimore Ravens – at Tennessee
- Obviously Jack Doyle’s Week 8 performance is going to grab your attention (12 catches, 121 yards, 1 TD), but he’s been getting significant opportunities for a while now. He’s had 7+ targets in four straight games and hasn’t had fewer than 5 targets since Week 1. While he’s not always putting up the yardage, he’s scored in two of his past three games, is walking into a favorable matchup and has a QB that’s struggled to get the ball to his wide receivers. That all points in his favor for another strong game.
- Jimmy Graham has now scored in three consecutive games (4 TD) and draws a Washington team that’s allowed the most yardage to opposing TE (568). Sure they’ve only given up 3 TD, but considering the yardage that seems like more of an aberration than anything. Graham should be able to keep the good times rolling.
- Both Delanie Walker and Jordan Reed face injury concerns, as we simply aren’t sure if they are going to be able to take the field for Week 9. Monitor the news to see their status, but with Reed sounding like he’s out we’re going to leave him off the rankings for now.
- Cameron Brate has been great overall this season, but he draws a tough matchup and could continue to lose targets to O.J. Howard (Brate’s 5 targets in Week 8 were his fewest since Week 3). That’s going to make him closer to a TE2 as opposed to a trustworthy TE1 (like the pure numbers would indicate).
- It’s been a nice run for Tyler Kroft, with at least 4 receptions in four straight games. The Jaguars defense has been great stopping opposing wide receivers, but they are middle of the pack against tight ends and it’s possible Andy Dalton settles for consistent check downs. That would continue to benefit Kroft.
Make sure to check out all of our Week 9 rankings: