by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor0
We all know that we can wait on kickers, but that doesn’t mean that they are all created equal or that they are completely meaningless. There are certainly better options and having the right kicker could help to decide your fate in any given week. Who are the best options heading into ’18? Let’s take a look:
- Greg Zuerlein – Los Angeles Rams
- Justin Tucker – Baltimore Ravens
- Stephen Gostkowski – New England Patriots
- Matt Bryant – Atlanta Falcons
- Will Lutz – New Orleans Saints
- Jake Elliott – Philadelphia Eagles
- Harrison Butker – Kansas City Chiefs
- Chris Boswell – Pittsburgh Steelers
- Matt Prater – Detroit Lions
- Robbie Gould – San Francisco 49ers
- Dan Bailey – Dallas Cowboys
- Graham Gano – Carolina Panthers
- Mason Crosby – Green Bay Packers
- Ryan Succop – Tennessee Titans
- Adam Vinatieri – Indianapolis Colts
- Surprised to see Gostkowski ranked at #3? Sure he connected on 37 field goals last season, but 16 of them were 29 yards or shorter. That comes a year after he made just 27 field goals, and would it be surprising if he didn’t connect on a ton as the Patriots find the end zone instead of settling for three points?
- Jake Elliot made a statement in his rookie season, going 26-31 on field goal attempts including connecting from 61 yards. He was better from 40+ yards, going 17-19 (including 5-6 from 50+ yards), and that’s going only enhance his potential value.
- Despite playing in just 13 games the Chiefs’ Harrison Butker finished second in made field goals, going 38-42. While there was a lot of damage at less than 40 yards, he did go 10-12 from 40-49 and 4-5 from 50+. With a rookie quarterback under center there’s a good chance they lean on their kicker heavily once again.
Make sure to check out all of our 2018 preseason rankings: