by Ray Kuhn
Weather is an issue… So is performance… This is nothing new when it comes to kickers, but as the calendar turns to November weather becomes even more of a factor. With six teams on bye there will be lots of streaming done at the position, further complicating the position’s outlook. Let’s take a look at how our options rank:
- Greg Zuerlein – LA Rams – at New Orleans
- Stephen Gostkowski – New England Patriots – vs. Green Bay
- Justin Tucker – Baltimore Ravens – vs. Pittsburgh
- Jason Myers – NY Jets – at Miami
- Will Lutz – New Orleans Saints – vs. LA Rams
- Kaiimi Fairbairn – Houston Texans – at Denver
- Brett Maher – Dallas Cowboys – vs. Tennessee
- Mason Crosby – Green Bay Packers – at New England
- Graham Gano – Carolina Panthers – vs. Tampa Bay
- Robbie Gould – San Francisco 49ers – vs. Oakland
- Harrison Butker – Kansas City Chiefs – at Cleveland
- Cody Parkey – Chicago Bears – at Buffalo
- Matt Prater – Detroit Lions – at Minnesota
- Brandon McManus – Denver Broncos – vs. Houston
- Dustin Hopkins – Washington Redskins – vs. Atlanta
- Owners who drafted Greg Zuerlein have had to deal with their fair share of disappointment. Instead of getting a clear Top 5 option he is currently the 27th ranked kicker as far as fantasy perspective (he did miss five games with a groin injury). In the three games that he has taken part of the Rams’ kicker has been perfect on all eight of his extra point attempts while missing just one of his 10 field goals. Health is no longer appears to be an issue, and with an over/under of about 60 this week offense will be abundant.
- When you think of offenses with firepower the Jets don’t immediately come to mind. Jason Myers did have one game this season in which he made seven field goals, but he currently comes in as the second ranked kicker. Despite that fact he is owned in just 43.3% of ESPN leagues, which is far too low considering the six teams on bye this week. Myers certainly has been efficient as he has missed just one field goal attempt in addition to one of his 19 extra point attempts. With eight field goals from beyond 40 yards, including two greater than 50 yards, he has shown the ability to truly rack up points. It also helps Myers’ cause that the Jets’ offense is clearly lacking offensive weapons.
- If you haven’t claimed your kicker for the week yet, at 10% ownership Brandon McManus is certainly worth a look. For starters he and the Broncos are at home so he is slated to take advantage of the altitude. It also doesn’t hurt that the Texans have allowed the fifth most points to opposing kickers. Ranked just outside of the Top 12, McManus is 12 of 13 on field goal attempts while being perfect on his 20 extra point attempts. We would like to see him attempt more field goals than less than two per game, but the production has been there.
Make sure to check out all of our Week 9 rankings: