While kickers are often overlooked, they still play an important role on a week-to-week basis. Let’s take a look at how I would rank the Top 15 for the upcoming week:
- David Akers – Philadelphia Eagles – at Detroit
- Stephen Gostkowski – New England Patriots – at New York Jets
- Ryan Longwell – Minnesota Vikings – vs. Miami
- Mason Crosby – Green Bay Packers – vs. Buffalo
- Nate Kaeding – San Diego Chargers – vs. Jacksonville
- Sebastian Janikowski – Oakland Raiders – vs. St. Louis
- Rob Bironas – Tennessee Titans – vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
- Lawrence Tynes – New York Giants – at Indianapolis
- Adam Vinatieri – Indianapolis Colts – vs. New York Giants
- Garrett Hartley – New Orleans Saints – at San Francisco
- Matt Prater – Denver Broncos – vs. Seattle
- John Kasay – Carolina Panthers – vs. Tampa Bay
- Neil Rackers – Houston Texans – at Washington
- Matt Bryant – Atlanta Falcons – vs. Arizona
- Dan Carpenter – Miami Dolphins – at Minnesota
- It will certainly be an intriguing matchup, with the Jets offense vs. the Patriots defense. Would it be surprising to see the Patriots stall short of the goal line a few times, giving Gostkowski the opportunity to kick a few field goals?
- In 2009 Ryan Longwell went 17-for-18 kicking field goals at home. You have to like those numbers. Whenever the Vikings are at home he’s an extremely strong play.
- Janikowski has a big leg, that’s no secret. Will the Raiders offense be able to put him in position to get points, however? That’s the million-dollar question and will be what determines his value on a weekly basis. If the Raiders offense can get things in order, he’s going to have value.
- Don’t let one bad game (he went 0-for-2 in Week 1) for Garrett Hartley let you lose your faith in him. He should be fine moving forward. I’d use him with confidence this week.
- Would it surprise anyone if there were a lot of points scored in the battle of the Manning brothers? Both Tynes and Vinatieri should be usable in all formats this week.
What are your thoughts on these rankings? Who’s too high? Who’s too low?
Make sure to check out the rest of our Week 2 Rankings: