While kickers are often an afterthought for fantasy owners, they shouldn’t necessarily be. Let’s take a look at our Week 7 rankings:
- Jason Hanson – Detroit Lions – vs. Atlanta
- Mason Crosby – Green Bay Packers – at Minnesota
- John Kasay – New Orleans – vs. Indianapolis
- Dan Bailey – Dallas Cowboys – vs. St. Louis
- Nick Novak – San Diego Chargers – at New York Jets
- Billy Cundiff – Baltimore Ravens – at Jacksonville
- Rob Bironas – Tennessee Titans – vs. Houston
- Neil Rackers – Houston Texans – at Tennessee
- Dan Carpenter – Miami Dolphins – vs. Denver
- Matt Bryant – Atlanta Falcons – at Detroit
- Robbie Gould – Chicago Bears – at Tampa Bay
- Adam Vinatieri – Indianapolis Colts – at New Orleans
- Graham Gano – Washington Redskins – at Carolina
- Nick Folk – New York Jets – vs. San Diego
- Connor Barth – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – vs. Chicago
- Jason Hanson is one of only three field kickers who have connected on at least three field goals from 50+ yards. Add in the fact that he faces a Falcons’ defense that has allowed 12 field goals on the season (tied for fourth) and you get a tremendous option for this week.
- The team that has allowed the most field goals this season is the Minnesota Vikings, who have allowed 15. Granted, Mason Crosby may just be settling for extra points for much of the day (he’s tied for the league lead with 23), but the potential is there for much more.
- Both Rob Bironas and Matt Bryant have favorable matchups, against Houston (13 field goals allowed) and Detroit (14 field goals allowed). Both look like good plays for the coming week.
- If Dan Carpenter played in a better offense he would probably be ranked a bit higher given the matchup. That said, does anyone believe that the Dolphins are going to be able to score a ton of points? That makes Carpenter an extremely intriguing option for the coming week.
- There’s a lot of talk that Sebastian Janikowski could be forced to miss several weeks (according to Adam Schefter via Twitter). At this point I would prepare for life without him. He was preliminarily ranked #2 here, so if he does somehow play he’s a must use option. I just wouldn’t count on it.
Make sure to check out the rest of Rotoprofessor’s Week 7 information: