Wait until the last round to draft your kicker… That is the typical fantasy football strategy and, while it’s not the wrong way to go, thinking that all kickers are created equal is just not accurate. With that in mind let’s take a look at our preseason Top 15 rankings:
- Blair Walsh – Minnesota Vikings
- Stephen Gostkowski – New England Patriots
- Matt Bryant – Atlanta Falcons
- Matt Prater – Denver Broncos
- Justin Tucker – Baltimore Ravens
- Phil Dawson – Cleveland Browns
- Garrett Hartley – New Orleans Saints
- Lawrence Tynes – Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Greg Zuerlein – St. Louis Rams
- Sebastian Janikowski – Oakland Raiders
- Dan Bailey – Dallas Cowboys
- Randy Bullock – Houston Texans
- Mason Crosby – Green Bay Packers
- Steven Hauschka – Seattle Seahawks
- Robbie Gould – Chicago Bears
- The Vikings’ Blair Walsh led the league in field goals made last season (35) and with Percy Harvin now in Seattle it’s not unreasonable to think that he’s going to get ample opportunities once again (whenever Adrian Peterson doesn’t find the end zone). Included in his made kicks were 10 from at least 50 yards (he was a perfect 10-for-10), when no one else in the league made more than 7.
- Matt Prater benefits from playing half his games in Denver (he went 16-18 at home) and the Broncos should be one of the highest scoring offenses in the league. That’s a very likable combination for fantasy owners.
- The Browns’ Phil Dawson was a perfect 13-for-13 from 40+ yards last season (including 7-for-7 from 50+). With the team’s offense improving overall, that should mean more opportunities both via field goals and extra points (he only made 29 extra points last season, 24th in the league).
- It’s hard to figure out why Lawrence Tynes, who went 33-for-39 on field goals last season, couldn’t find an NFL job this year. However the injury to Connor Barth opened up an opportunity and Tynes should once again be among the better kickers in the league.
- Greg Zuerlein attempted 13 kicks of at least 50 yards last season, making 7 of them. That shows how much faith the coaching staff has in his leg.
Make sure to check out all of our 2013 preseason rankings: