by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)
Let’s continue to look at our Week 1 rankings with the Top 15 defenses. Who has a tough matchup, making them tougher to trust? Which under-the-radar defense has a favorable matchup, making them worth considering? Let’s take a look:
- Seattle Seahawks – at Car
- New England Patriots – at Buf
- Houston Texans – at SD
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – at NYJ
- Pittsburgh Steelers – vs. Ten
- St. Louis Rams – vs. Ari
- Denver Broncos – vs. Bal
- Cincinnati Bengals – at Chi
- Chicago Bears – vs. Cin
- San Francisco 49ers – vs. GB
- Kansas City Chiefs – at Jac
- Indianapolis Colts – vs. Oak
- Arizona Cardinals – at Stl
- Miami Dolphins – at Cle
- Cleveland Browns – vs. Mia
- The New York Jets offense appears to be a train wreck, with a questionable running game, little talent on the outside and a rookie QB who doesn’t appear to be ready for the NFL game. Yeah, Tampa Bay’s defense has the potential to put up some big numbers in the season’s opening week.
- The focus for the Pittsburgh Steelers this week has to be stopping Chris Johnson, because the passing game (led by Jake Locker) has the potential to struggle. While Johnson did get it going last season, he struggled early (24 yards or fewer in four out of five games) and late (56 yards or fewer in four of the final five games). He did manage 91 yards on 19 carries against Pittsburgh last season, but failed to find the end zone.
- We all know the 49ers are among the elite defenses in the league, but can they stop the Green Bay Packers? It’ll be a true test, but consider this one of the few weeks that benching the 49ers may make sense (within reason, of course).
- As we discussed last week (click here for the article), the Indianapolis Colts represent one of the best options to stream this week. That’s probably going to be a common trend against the Raiders, however.
Make sure to check out all of our Week 1 rankings: