by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)
It’s always tough to pick a defense, but things are even tougher this early in the season as we try to get a grasp on things. While we have a few weeks worth at this point, trends and ability are still establishing themselves. Keep that in mind as we rake a look at this week’s rankings:
- Cincinnati Bengals – at Cleveland
- Indianapolis Colts – at Jacksonville
- Kansas City Chiefs – vs. New York Giants
- Seattle Seahawks – at Houston
- Tennessee Titans – vs. New York Jets
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – vs. Arizona
- Dallas Cowboys – at San Diego
- New York Jets – at Tennessee
- Minnesota Vikings – vs. Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh Steelers – at Minnesota
- Chicago Bears – at Detroit
- Denver Broncos – vs. Philadelphia
- San Francisco 49ers – at St. Louis
- Baltimore Ravens – at Buffalo
- New Orleans Saints – vs. Miami
- The Jacksonville Jaguars have allowed the most sacks this season (15), while being the only team to throw for fewer than 2 TD (1 TD) and having a banged up running game (Maurice Jones-Drew has looked like a shell of his himself). It all adds up to making the Indianapolis Colts, who haven’t been bad themselves, one of the better defenses this week.
- The Seahawks matchup is far from a slam dunk, but that defense has way too much potential to not have towards the top of the rankings in any week. They’ve allowed just 27 points through three games, which is really all you need to know.
- If you like Rex Ryan or not, you have to respect what the Jets’ defense has accomplished this season. They’ve racked up 12 sacks and, while the Titans do have offensive potential, they are hardly a juggernaut. The game could easily be a defensive struggle, making both defenses worth considering.
- The 49ers have been a bitter disappointment this season, but would you completely write them off? There’s too much talent, with or without Aldon Smith, to think that they are going to be a complete flop.