by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)
Kickers are often overlooked, but there are times where they could actually be the difference between winning and losing in a given week. Who is the best options for Week 1? Let’s take a look:
- Stephen Gostkowski – New England Patriots – at Miami
- Rob Gould – Chicago Bears – vs. Buffalo
- Adam Vinatieri – Indianapolis Colts – at Denver
- Justin Tucker – Baltimore Ravens – vs. Cincinnati
- Phil Dawson – San Francisco 49ers – at Dallas
- Dan Bailey – Dallas Cowboys – vs San Francisco
- Sebastian Janikowski – Oakland Raiders – at New York Jets
- Josh Brown – New York Giants – at Detroit
- Mason Crosby – Green Bay Packers – at Seattle
- Dan Carpenter – Buffalo Bills – at Chicago
- Nick Novak – San Diego Chargers – vs. Arizona
- Nick Folk – New York Jets – vs. Oakland
- Blair Walsh – Minnesota Vikings – at St. Louis
- Steven Hauschka – Seattle Seahawks – vs. Green Bay
- Brandon McManus – Denver Broncos – vs. Indianapolis
- The Bills’ defense has the potential to be one of the better in the league (which is a statement that may surprise some) and they were among the worst in allowing field goals last season (31, tied for seventh most in the league). Robbie Gould, who was our preseason #1 kicker, has to be right near the top given the matchup and the potential for Chicago to rack up the points.
- Adam Vinatieri may not have the leg that he once did, at 41-years old, but he’s kicking in Denver in what should be a shootout in Week 1. He’s easy to slide into one of the top spots for the coming week, though long-term we have to keep expectations in check.
- San Francisco’s defense enters the season with a slew of questions, thanks to injuries and suspensions. With Tony Romo healthy and ample weapons at his disposal, it’s easy to imagine Dallas scoring some points. That makes Dan Bailey a viable option in all formats.
- Last season the St. Louis Rams allowed the fewest field goals in the league (18). While we like Blair Walsh, the matchup and a questionable offense is going to lead to him being suppressed on our rankings.
Make sure to check out all of our Week 1 rankings: