There’s a few little tidbits that are certainly worth mentioning this morning, so let’s get down to it:
- After being hit on “base of the right palm” yesterday, Kevin Youkilis left last night’s game and underwent x-rays, according to Sean McAdam of The Providence Journal (click here for the article). There is a chance he doesn’t miss any time, as the x-rays came back negative. Watch the pregame line-up tomorrow to see if he’s in there or not, but you may want to consider a healthy option right now.
- Sheldon Ocker of The Beacon Journal (click here for the article) is reporting that Victor Martinez “took batting practice and threw to second base (bouncing most of the throws) Wednesday morning”. It is unknown when he may return to the Indians, but there is a chance he begins a rehab assignment next week. Just keep on waiting at this point.
- The Rangers David Murphy is expected to miss 2-4 weeks, according to Anthony Andro of The Star-Telegram (click here for the post). He was injured last night in a collision with Ivan Rodriguez. It’s a tough break for owners, who certainly had found a steal in Murphy, who wasn’t expected to produce much at all this season. He’s worth stashing away until he’s ready to return.
- As expected, Eddie Guardado will assume the closer’s role in Texas with C.J. Wilson on the DL according to The Star-Telegram (click here for the article). He’s obviously worth grabbing if you are in need of saves.
- Brandon Morrow took the first step towards transforming to a starting pitcher, according to Larry Stone of The Seattle Times (click here for the article). He went 1.2 innings, throwing 34 pitches, 21 of which were strikes. He is next scheduled to take the mound on Monday and is expected to throw around 50 pitches. They also said he threw mostly fastballs yesterday. He’s certainly worth keeping an eye on, but he’s not going to be a viable option for at least 2-3 weeks.