- Jason Marquis vs. Hou – He hasn’t been great this season, but he has been good over his last 3 starts (including a game against the Astros). In those games, he’s given up 4 ER over 20.1 innings. I know the start is in Houston, which makes it more risky, and he has a 5.09 ERA against the Astros this season, but there really aren’t any great options available. You want a risk, I’d go with this one.
- Joel Pineiro vs. Pit – I know it’s the Pirates, but he has a 4.92 ERA on the season. He also has 3 starts against the Pirates this season, with a 5.60 ERA. Pass.
- Mike Hampton vs. NYM – He hasn’t pitched bad of late, but the Mets offense is looking like it is getting warmed up once again. There’s no way I take this risk.
- Shairon Martis vs. Fla – He has plenty of potential, but this is just his second major league start and if my fantasy league is hanging in the balance I’m not putting my trust in him.
- Sydney Ponson vs. TB – 20 ER over his last 15.2 IP says all I need to know.
- Daniel Cabrera vs. Min – Those who read the site regularly know my thoughts on him, but I’ll but it quite frankly here. Daniel Cabrera = one of the most erratic pitcher in major league baseball and should not be used in any format.
- David Purcey vs. Bos – If he were facing anyone other then Boston, I’d probably endorse using him. Unfortunately he has the Red Sox on the schedule making him a huge risk to use.
- Jack Cassel vs. CHC – A 6.65 ERA and 1.61 WHIP over 23 innings. Need I say any more?
- Matt Harrison vs. Oak – Do you really trust any Ranger pitcher right now? There is one or two I’d consider using, but Harrison isn’t one of them. He’s given up 17 hits over his last 11.2 innings, including a start against the Mariners.
- Greg Smith vs. Tex – He’s coming off a good start, but that 8 ER debacle against the Twins is just still too fresh. Plus, he has a 6.35 ERA in 3 starts against a dangerous Rangers offense this season.
- Ryan Rowland-Smith vs. LAA – I don’t believe the Angels are going to slow down quite this early, making this a very tough start. I know you want to point to a solid start against the Yankees his last time out, but he did allow 11 baserunners over 6.1 innings, so part of it was done with a little bit of luck. He does not offer much in the way of K’s. He also has only pitched 0.1 innings against the Angels this season. I’m not willing to take the risk on him.