The catching position isn’t particularly deep as it is, with many teams taking more of a platoon approach (even if they have a “name” talent, like in Washington where they will deploy both Kurt Suzuki and Yan Gomes). That makes the loss of Salvador Perez, one of the few catchers who plays virtually every day, even more of a problem for fantasy owners. Formerly #3 on our rankings, let’s take a look at how things now look:
- J.T. Realmuto – Philadelphia Phillies
- Gary Sanchez – New York Yankees
- Yasmani Grandal – Milwaukee Brewers
- Yadier Molina – St. Louis Cardinals
- Buster Posey – San Francisco Giants
- Danny Jansen – Toronto Blue Jays
- Welington Castillo – Chicago White Sox
- Willson Contreras – Chicago Cubs
- Tucker Barnhart – Cincinnati Reds
- Carson Kelly – Arizona Diamondbacks
- Wilson Ramos – New York Mets
- Mike Zunino – Tampa Bay Rays
- Robinson Chirinos – Houston Astros
- Francisco Cervilli – Pittsburgh Pirates
- Jonathan Lucroy – Los Angeles Angels
- Granted we have our questions about Wilson Ramos, which we discussed in detail and you can view by clicking here, but we also know that he’s going to play regularly with the Mets. Risk or not, he’s going to have value.
- Carson Kelly has long been buried behind the ageless Yadier Molina in St. Louis, but being included in the Paul Goldschmidt trade gives him a new opportunity (and one he should be able to take advantage of). He brings a strong approach (over his Triple-A career he has 105 K vs. 92 BB, and in ’18 he posted a 6.8% SwStr%) and enough power (think 12-15 HR) to make an impact at a relatively weak position.
- Signing a one-year contract with the Brewers, there will certainly be motivation for Yasmani Grandal to produce. All he needs to do is hit .260ish (something that’s not unreasonable) to go along with his power potential and we are going to get at worst a Tier 2 catcher (along the lines of Gary Sanchez) who should bounce back in ’19.
- We took a look at Buster Posey and gave our 2019 projection, which you can view by clicking here. While he may look slightly more attractive, given the injury to Perez, at the same time don’t make the mistake of paying for the name as opposed to what he’s expected to do.
Sources – Fangraphs