by Ray Kuhn
Value when it comes to the kicker position is an interesting proposition. There is one kicker per team so we don’t have to worry about depth charts and we know whose job it is. What it comes down is picking who we think the best option is based on past performance, opponent, weather, and our expectations for their offense. Let’s jump into how this week’s options rank:
- Younghoe Koo – Atlanta Falcons – vs. Las Vegas
- Daniel Carlson – Las Vegas Raiders – at Atlanta
- Graham Gano – New York Giants – at Cincinnati
- Matt Gay – Los Angeles Rams – vs. San Francisco
- Ka’imi Fairbairn – Houston Texans – at Detroit
- Chris Boswell – Pittsburgh Steelers – vs. Baltimore
- Tyler Bass – Buffalo Bills – vs. LA Chargers
- Jason Myers – Seattle Seahawks – at Philadelphia
- Zane Gonzalez – Arizona Cardinals – at New England
- Michael Badgley – Los Angeles Chargers – at Buffalo
- Stephen Gostkowski – Tennessee Titans – at Indianapolis
- Nick Folk – New England Patriots – vs. Arizona
- Dustin Hopkins – Washington Football Team – at Dallas
- Jake Elliot – Philadelphia Eagles – vs. Seattle
- Cody Parkey – Cleveland Browns – at Jacksonville
- Anytime I can get a top-10 anything in my fantasy football league, I’m generally pretty happy. Of course you need to shoot higher than that, but if that is your baseline you should be in pretty solid shape. On a weekly basis I have no issues rotating through options at the kicker position unless I have one of the elite ones (if that is really a thing anymore) so that brings me to Tyler Bass this week. Based on production so far this season Bass sneaks into the top-10 but as of Wednesday morning he is owned in just 12% of ESPN leagues. The fact that there are no teams on bye this week does hurt Bass’s cause he has been busy so far this season with 19 field goals and 30 extra points through 10 games. With four field goals from beyond 50 yards, leg strength isn’t an issue either and this week’s match-up with the Chargers figures to be a high scoring affair.
- If you want to play the match-up game when it comes to kickers, admittedly I don’t utilize it as much as I do with other positions, then Matt Gay deserves some attention. It is very likely that Gay has fallen through the cracks as last week was his first game of the season for Rams as an injury replacement. Gay didn’t show any real rust as he converted two of his three field goal attempts (missing one from the 40 to 49 range) while making all three of his extra points. The Rams figure to put points on the board once again this week but against a strong San Francisco they may find themselves stalled in the red zone which would be an ideal situation for Gay.
- Kicking in a dome is always ideal. The same applies when your offense goes against a defense that has struggled at times this season in the Falcons. Then factor in a kicker whose overall production this season has been in the top-five, and we are in a good situation with Daniel Carlson. Carlson has made all four of his field goal attempts from beyond 50 yards so you have to like the production that brings with it and I am also a fan of his efficiency as he is 31 of 32 on extra point attempts and perfect on his 15 field goals from 39 yards or less (he has missed twice between 40 and 49 yards). There have only been two weeks this season when Carlson was limited to one field goal each and in both of those games he had four extra points so at least it wasn’t a total disaster.
Make sure to check out all of our Week 12 rankings: