If your league still uses them kickers are a necessary evil. As frustrating as it may be, don’t ignore the position as you need every edge you can get. With that being said, let’s jump right into the rankings for this week:
- Greg Zuerlein – LA Rams – vs. Tampa Bay
- Harrison Butker – Kansas City Chiefs – at Detroit
- Zane Gonzalez – Arizona Cardinals – vs. Seattle
- Justin Tucker – Baltimore Ravens – vs. Cleveland
- Matt Prater – Detroit Lions – vs. Kansas City
- Will Lutz – New Orleans Saints – vs. Dallas
- Joey Slye – Carolina Panthers – at Houston
- Ka’imi Fairbairn – Houston Texans – vs. Carolina
- Chris Boswell – Pittsburgh Steelers – vs. Cincinnati
- Aldrick Rosas – NY Giants – vs. Washington
- Matt Bryant – Atlanta Falcons – vs. Tennessee
- Stephen Gostkowski – New England Patriots – at Buffalo
- Mason Crosby – Green Bay Packers – vs. Philadelphia
- Josh Lambo – Jacksonville Jaguars – at Denver
- Stephen Hauschka – Buffalo Bills – vs. New England
- Perhaps it is stubbornness on my part, since I drafted him, but I can’t part with Matt Bryant just yet. The problem, and it is a problem for all kickers, is that a lot of his issues this season stem from a lack of opportunity. Through the first three weeks of the season Bryant has attempted just three field goals, with two of those from beyond 50 yards (he missed one of those) and six extra points (100% conversion). The Titans have been tough to opposing kickers, but all it takes is one week to turn that around and I would expect Atlanta’s offense to at least get on track a little more this week at home. The fact that the Titans do have a solid defensive should lead to a few stalled drives and some field goal attempts for Bryant.
- Another kicker who was drafted as a starter in most leagues but has struggled is Ka’imi Fairbairn. Some fantasy owners have begun to move away from the Houston kicker due to his struggles, but perhaps we should give him one more week? For whatever it is worth (can we determine that after Sunday’s game), the Panthers have allowed the third most points to opposing kickers so far this season. Couple that with the fact that Fairbairn has only attempted three field goals all season, missing his attempt from beyond 50 yards, and I’m not holding is lack of production against him. Fairbairn is also 8 of 9 on extra point attempts, so performance has not been an issue.
- The ideal situation for a kicker is when their team’s offense is good, but not great. That is exactly what is going in Arizona, as Zane Gonzalez has attempted just three extra points so far this season while having nine field goal opportunities. He has been perfect on all 12 of his kicks, and I would expect to see that continue this week against the Seahawks as Arizona’s offense will likely stall.
Make sure to check out all of our Week 4 rankings: